Tripod Turnstiles vs Speedgates – As a turnstile and access control systems integrator, All Right Now Ltd are focusing on the leisure and education market. We discuss all manner of different projects with clients and potential clients. We listen to their needs, frustrations and ideas, then create a solution to fit around them. We are seeing an interesting fight starting to emerge – a lot more interesting that the Mayweather and McGregor is going to be. In the blue corner, you have the seasoned professional Tripod ‘Trusty’ Turnstile and in the red corner you have the newcomer and challenger Speed ‘Knockout’ Gates. In this article we are going to look at each of the fighter’s pros and cons to help you understand which form of entry system would fit your facility.
The tripod turnstile has been the entry system of choice for a long time with speedgates only being installed in the higher end health clubs. However, now we are getting a lot more enquiries from leisure clubs for speedgates. There are a number of reasons for this. In this article we are just going to look at the way tripod turnstiles and speedgates work as a whole rather than focussing on the differences between different brands.
The Tale Of The Tape
Tripod ‘Trusty’ Turnstile vs Speed ‘Knockout’ Gates
Tripod ‘Trusty’ Turnstile
The tripod turnstile fitted alongside a DDA gate is the most common form of entry solution in the leisure and education market in the UK. Below we will look at the benefits and drawbacks of the tripod turnstile.
- Lower cost
- Only let one person in at a time and cannot be forced open
- Can be customised to house different access control readers
- Stock item and readily available. Shorter lead times
- Easy to install
- Low security. Can easily be jumped over
- Require a separate DDA lane
- Slow throughput of people
- Lots of moving parts so more chance of going wrong
- They cannot be connected to remotely
- They cannot easily and cost effectively be installed on a raised plinth so that you don’t have to drill into the floor
- Lower lifespan in comparison to a speedgate
Speed ‘Knockout’ Gates
The Speedgate is now becoming more common in the leisure and education market. Traditionally they are installed in business reception areas, banks and office blocks. Below we will look at the benefits and drawbacks of the speedgate turnstile.
- Limited moving parts so less likely to go wrong
- DDA width gates can accommodate all customers
- No need for a separate DDA lane thus also saving physical space
- Fast throughput of people especially at busy times
- Can be designed with full height glass to provide a highly secure barrier for semi-attended or mainly unattended reception areas
- High quality construction and design
- They can be connected to remotely to allow remote diagnostic and allow entry remotely
- They can easily and cost effectively be installed on a raised plinth so that you don’t have to drill into the floor
- They have a long life span
- Higher cost
- Depending on the type of speedgate, they can be forced open and/or you would need an additional lock
- They are more expensive to customise to house different access control readers
- They are on a longer lead time and are usually made to order
In reality it is an uneven match. It all depends on what your needs are and what you are trying to achieve. The Tripod is a lightweight option and the speedgate the all singing, all dancing heavyweight option. The British Boxing Board of Control wouldn’t allow them in the same ring together. They are fighting different battles. We have had customers install speedgates and replace them with tripod turnstiles. We have others who have decided on speedgates across the whole estate and are replacing existing tripod turnstiles. What is key is understanding your particular fight and working with a trusted partner who understands your needs and who will give you honest feedback and a solution to suit your facility and your budget. For more information please take a look at https://www.turnstile-systems.com/ and/or call 01295 660566.
Ben Dawes, Business Development Manager, All Right Now Ltd